After much anticipation, the 2012 Olympics are finally getting underway this evening, and that may have you thinking about buying a sporty team hat or a fashionable handbag emblazoned with your country’s flag and team colors. If so, you’re not alone. Most of us get excited about supporting our teams with our fashion.
But if you’re like the average consumer, you may have a closet full of fast fashion you haven’t worn in years – including fashion from Olympics’ past. Believe it or not, the average UK household (our hosts!) owns £4,000 worth of fashion, 30% of which hasn’t been worn for a year or more. Why? Because it’s out of fashion, falling apart, or not the right size. What a waste of money and resources!
Quick Guide to the Benefits of Shrinking the Size of Your Stored Fashion
Each and every piece of fashion you have stored in your closet represents natural resources – whether it’s cotton, leather, linen, rubber, crude oil, or hemp. Rather than buying into fast fashion that emphasizes rapid style changes and cheap construction, handmade fashion helps you choose quality over quantity, which is great for the planet and your closet size. What are the benefits of Hearts’ handmade fashion that’s designed and built to last?
- You’ll love quality pieces for years: There’s something incredibly comfortable about putting on a perfectly-fitted overcoat or packing your beloved handbag as you walk out the door. If you take the time to choose fashion that is high quality and fashionably timeless, you’ll find yourself loving it for years to come.
- Have a smaller (i.e. cheaper) house: How is the size of your house related to your wardrobe? Well, if your wardrobe is massive, you’ll need a house with a larger closet. And a larger house will invariably cost more. Choose your clothing wisely and you’ll be able to save money on rent or a mortgage!
- Save resources, energy, water: It is estimated that extending the life of your eco fashion by just three months reduces carbon, water, and waste by 5% to 10%. Imagine the environmental benefit if your handmade fashion lasts for decades.
Green Actions to Demonstrate Your Team Spirit for Planet Earth!
The Olympics were originally intended as a way of fostering a global sense of unity in community. You can contribute to a more sustainable global community by choosing eco fashion and disposing of your old fashion responsibly.
- Buy quality, handmade fashion that will be stylish and practical for years to come.
- Choose upcycled fashion to minimize your contribute to textile waste.
- Upcycle your own secondhand fashion pieces with embellishments, alterations, and other enhancements to reduce your need for new fashion.
- Donate old clothing so that it is recycled. By shrinking how much stored fashion you keep around, you’re reintroducing those resources back into the value chain.